21 Sept 2010

Today is 'School of Bakery' - bring on the Flapjacks


I decided quite some time ago I must put more posts on my blog of 'stuff' other than weddings, but really what does one blog about?  

It's a strange world of one way waffle (I write something, as if someone is out there reading it!? - yet here I am at 20:47 sitting in a dark office, with a computer monitor in front of me, not an audience!).  It needs to be interactive I decided, if someone actually found what I posted of use that'd be even better.

So, in Feb 2010 (yes 7 months ago) I started the concept of including recipes on my blog.  I'm no Masterchef, in fact I can't cook, but I do like baking cakes (or did.....it now appears I'm waaaaaaay to busy to hang around in the kitchen for longer than the 3 mins the kettle takes to boil!).  

With flapjacks a simple speciality I thought I'd share a recipe, and photographed the 'making' for which my little helper Daisy did most of the ground work.  (note: cameras, naked flames, hot ovens and a three year old aren't the easiest things to control in tandem - or at least that's my excuse for some average photos rather than 'spectacular'!)



The usual suspects - 250g Oats, 50g Muscovado Sugar, 175g Butter, 140g Golden Syrup.  
Calorie count? - yeah, best not to know!!



Chop butter up & melt in pan.



Meanwhile get small child to assist in greasing the baking tray.  Having small child wearing pajamas is optional, but I suggest if you wish to eat your flapjacks for mid morning snack with a cuppa tea, then an early start is inevitable!



Once the butter is melted add 50g of sugar.  "Got no Muscavado" I hear you say - ahhh....just stick something else sugar like in.  Perhaps Brown Granulated - it'll probably work fine! (note: I said 'probably')





Golden Syrup.  Now this is where the three year old assistant really starts to take interest.  It's also the part where taking photos, baking and looking after said three year old becomes quite a juggling act.

Add 140g's of this stuff.  If you ain't got scales, good luck in guessing.  Once added and loads then runs down the side of the jar get three year old assistant to lick it off.  (turn away if you are very concerned over hygiene at this point!)





Last up, pop in some rolled oats - 250g.  Then whack it into the pre greased baking tray and into the oven.



25 (ish) minutes should do the trick, at around 160 degrees.



Eh voila - yummy flapjacks.  NOW, this is the important bit.  When still warm, score them (i.e. line these bad boys the size you've designated one helping is gonna be!), then leave to cool for at least 20mins, before going back in with the knife and chopping them out.  This way they don't all crumble up and you have perfecto flap jackos!

This hear ends my helpful service announcement on baking flapjacks - the least likely thing you'll ever find on most other wedding photographers blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...